[TYPO3-english] Re: User Access, Permissions and Workspaces

Matt Clough matt at lubs.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Sep 24 14:05:00 CEST 2014

Hi Xavier,

I think i have managed to solve my problem!!

Using your response as a guide I had a look in the ter to see if there was any 'roles' type extension and I found one - begroups_roles

This adds a selector box at the top of the screen where a user can switch between defined roles (usergroups). I made a tweak to disable the 'All' option and fixed an issue in the code of RoleSwitcher.php on line 46

Changed to - public function __construct(\TYPO3\CMS\Backend\Controller\BackendController &$backendReference = NULL) {

Using my original example:

I created two Workspaces:

News workspace
Section 3 workspace

I created 3 additional usergroups

News workspace users
Section 3 workspace users
LIVE workspace (this is the only user/group that can edit the live workspace)

These were then assigned to the respective  workspaces.

I created 3 TASK usergroups:

Edit staff records
Edit news
Edit section 3 content

Each of these groups are then assign the usergroups that provide the correct DB and File mount points, the roles and access groups to allow the user to accomplish each task AND the required workspace group.

User A is then assigned these TASK groups.

I have only tested this with a few users, but the results look promising. When the user changes TASK their permissions, access, mounts and Workspaces changes accordingly.

I hope other people find this useful!! So I'd just like to thank Nicole Cordes for creating a great solution to a problem that has had me tearing my hair out for the past few days!!

All the best

Matt