[TYPO3-english] Apache Password Protection and RealURL

Bert Hiddink [BENDOO e-work solutions] hiddink at bendoo.nl
Sat Sep 6 09:48:01 CEST 2014

Hello,

I have EXACTLY the same problem as Jeff Segars reported here:
http://lists.typo3.org/pipermail/typo3-english/2006-November/033670.html

"I've recently encountered some problems with password protected
directories (via Apache) and mod_rewrite rules for RealURL.

When there is not an .htaccess file in place, password protection works
as expected and I am prompted to enter a username and password when
accessing the directory. When I add the .htaccess file back in and
enable RealURL, my TYPO3 generated 404 page is immediately displayed
when trying to access this password protected directory.

I'm using the default .htaccess file and I've tried adding my password
protected directory into the list of directories that mod_rewrite should
not rewrite but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

 > RewriteRule
^(typo3|typo3temp|typo3conf|t3lib|tslib|fileadmin|uploads|showpic.php|protected)/
- [L]

Interestingly enough, if I modify the .htaccess file to pass requests
through a nonexistent index2.php file rather than TYPO3's index.php
file, then the password protection works again....but obviously the rest
of the site does not :)"

Has anyone else encountered similar behavior? How to resolve this? Any
ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Bert