[TYPO3-english] typo3 6.2.x extension upgrade downgrade policy

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Sun Oct 12 12:25:20 CEST 2014

Hi Katja,

Katja Lampela wrote:

> - is my site content gone if I update the extension?

No, see below.

> - are the settings I've made in BOOTSTRAP PACKAGE/Style module safe?

This depends on the extension and their dependencies.
For distributions, the following rules apply:
* Distributions are installed with all dependencies first
* the Initialization/data.t3d is imported only once (stored in
sys_registry), therefore it will *not* be changed on update.
* the files in Initialization/Files/* are imported only once too (again
stored in sys_registry), but it can happen that new files are imported if
they did not exists in previous versions
* Distributions are meant for first time installations and are expected to
be installed only once
* Distributions may be updated (e.g. CSS, JavaScript, TypoScript files, but
the imported content can not be changed any more)
* Dependencies can be updated as usual.
* What happens with the settings on updating the extensions depends on the
extensions (e.g. changed flexform values), but mostly they /should/ stay
unchanged and keep working.

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!