[TYPO3-english] [Rant, long] Update 4.5.35 -> 6.2.x

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Mon Oct 6 21:01:39 CEST 2014

Hi Axel,

Axel Joensson wrote:

> So, it indeed looks like a necessary third attempt, now trying to
> closely watch all those approx. 389 detailed steps necessary to satisfy
> the wizard. But somehow I fear I will forget another one this time, with
> unexpected outcome.

In my memory there are about 8 steps:
1) Upgrade to latest patchlevel in 4.5 (including DB compare)
2) Check extension compatibility and upgrade them if possible in 4.5
2b) Remove non-installed extensions from server (but should not mater)
3) Check with smoothmigration if any extensions are lightly to fail (this
catches the common errors)
4) Update the reference index in 4.5
5) Change source
6) Comply to automatic setup check once logged into the Install Tool (and
fix any mentioned errors)
7) Run upgrade wizards
8) Replace deprecated TypoScript with the new variants (seldom, e.g. HTML
object; read the release notes of all versions in between)
9) [optional] migrate DAM records

If this is too much for you, YOU should consider hiring professional for
this task.

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!