[TYPO3-english] T3 6.2, Images and [FE][activatecontentadapter]

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Mon May 12 14:08:29 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 12-5-2014 8:49, hansz wrote:
> However, reading up a bit further on the [FE][activateContentAdapter]
> setting it seems this significantly seems to slow T3 down. Now the
> question  is ... what does this setting do to solve my initial problem,
> and why don't things work when it is disabled ? ...

In 6.0 FAL was introduced to abstract access to files. For TYPO3 it no
longer matters where files are stored (local / flickr / dropbox / ...)
as the driver of a storage will handle the actual operations.
This means that like with DAM earlier, files are now represented by
records which contain some metadata.

To render files a new FILES content object in TypoScript is created [1].

The option [FE][activateContentAdapter] will fill during runtime some of
the fields from the past with compatible information:
tt_content, image : image, titleText, imagecaption, image_link, altText
tt_content, media: media, imagecaption
pages,media: media
Because these fields are added to record data at runtime it slows down
the frontend. If you adjust the TypoScript that it supports the new FAL
structures you can disable this option (because you don't need those old
(virtual) fields) and rendering becomes faster again.

[1]
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/TyposcriptReference/ContentObjects/Files/Index.html

--
Jigal van Hemert