[TYPO3-english] Joining the Documentation Team

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon Mar 17 08:31:55 CET 2014

Hi all,

As you may be aware the TYPO3 Documentation Team is comprised of very
few people doing their best to maintain a huge amount of documentation.
We would be very glad to welcome some new members to raise our manpower
and to ensure the future of the team (since most contributors have been
active for years already).

 From April 10 to April 12, the Documentation Team will meet in
Fribourg, Switzerland, for a code sprint [1]. This is a good opportunity
to join us, since you would get to meet most existing members of the
team and receive support from various people to help you get started.
There's room and budget (for travel and accommodation) for 1-2 more
people. Please consider participating only if you plan to be part of the
team on the longer term.

Joining the Documentation Team may seem scary because of the need to
write in English. You may feel that your writing in that language is not
good enough. It is true that a certain level is required, but not a
single English native speaker has ever contributed to the TYPO3 CMS
documentation and we survived. Of course this is not optimal and many
English native speakers have expressed frustration at reading our
manuals. However the current alternative is having no documentation at all.

Obviously we would delighted to have English native speakers join us,
but if you have a fair level of English writing, consider applying for
the job. We are a small team where things can move fast. Writing or
maintaining documentation is often not perceived as very sexy, but let
me assure that it is very satisfying, as the community at large is very
grateful for the job done.

Of course, feel free to join even if you cannot attend the code sprint ;-)

So, who's up for the adventure?

Cheers
--

Francois Suter