[TYPO3-english] Installing TYPO3 6.2b5 - success, but three questions

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Thu Mar 6 17:05:43 CET 2014

Hi Nico,

> 2. Upload the .tar.gz to the webserver, unpack 2x
> *Question 1:* To me it sounds easier that I would use the .zip (only once
> unpacking required) rather than the .tar.gz, but somehow I have the
> impression that "experts" prefer otherwise. What am I missing here?

You may unpack at once with

$ tar xzvf <yourfile.tar.gz>

tar is able to store symbolic links.

> *Question 3: *I have the habit of immediately adding the following lines to
> the .htaccess of every project that I start - it are 6 lines that I
> gathered through experience. Am I missing something important? And why is
> this not standard foreseen in the _.htaccess file?
>
> php_flag register_globals off
> php_value memory_limit 128M
> php_value upload_max_filesize 24M
> php_value post_max_size 24M
> php_value max_execution_time 300
> php_value max_input_time 300

Because this should be part of the virtual host configuration and not
from a .htaccess which gets evaluated for each request. Furthermore,
some options may have no effect depending on how you run PHP on your host.

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers
TYPO3 CMS Team Member