[TYPO3-english] Installing TYPO3 6.2b5 - success, but three questions

Nico Deblauwe nico at bluepundit.eu
Thu Mar 6 16:58:27 CET 2014

Hi guys,

I'm a somewhat medium-skilled TYPO3 amateur, and as I had some free time
(and was curious) I decided to install the latest beta of TYPO3 6.2. First
of all, it has to be said: all went relatively smooth with the information
available.

Below you can find a description of my "trip" in a little bit more detail,
as this could be useful for the installation team (feedback on info in
documentation), but also because I'm still having 3 questions:

1. Download sources from typo3.org

2. Upload the .tar.gz to the webserver, unpack 2x
*Question 1:* To me it sounds easier that I would use the .zip (only once
unpacking required) rather than the .tar.gz, but somehow I have the
impression that "experts" prefer otherwise. What am I missing here?

3. Create the symlinks that are needed
I used the procedure from
https://github.com/TYPO3/TYPO3.CMS/blob/master/INSTALL.md as a basis, but
had to adapt slightly as Symlinks were created with web admin interface (no
ssh access to my server, and therefore I cannot make symlinks to a
file/directory inside a symlinked folder, so I had to make it to the
original ones)). I ended up with:

Source files unpacked in

/typo3_src-6.2.x/

And the domain root gets these simlinks

/domaindir/typo3_src -> ../typo3_src-6.2.x//domaindir/typo3 ->
../typo3_src-6.2.x/typo3//domaindir/index.php ->
../typo3_src-6.2.x/index.php

And finally I copy one file physically (from _.htaccess)

/domaindir/.htaccess

*Question 2:* Upon installation, TYPO3 will wine about the directories, but
continues without problems and leads to a working system. Did I make a
terrible mistake, or is my approach also ok - execept from the fact that
I'll have to make three new syslinks upon updating the source, rather than
only one?

*Question 3: *I have the habit of immediately adding the following lines to
the .htaccess of every project that I start - it are 6 lines that I
gathered through experience. Am I missing something important? And why is
this not standard foreseen in the _.htaccess file?

php_flag register_globals off
php_value memory_limit 128M
php_value upload_max_filesize 24M
php_value post_max_size 24M
php_value max_execution_time 300
php_value max_input_time 300

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Nico

--
 *Nico Deblauwe*