[TYPO3-english] mnoGoSearch indexing

Pero Peric pperic at mail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:58:27 CET 2014

On 5.3.2014. 14:26, Philipp Gampe wrote:
> Hi Pero,
>
> Pero Peric wrote:
>
>> Maybe this people that are putting so much effort in things like fluid
>> and space ship enterprises could come down to earth a bit and make some
>> built in fast working search to replace indexed search, but it seems
>> that's not so fancy.. ah.
>
> It is not that easy to write a good search engine. On most smaller websites,
> the search is broken or very slow.
> On top of that, TYPO3 CMS has a non-trivial content model, which makes
> searching a very complex topic. Our flexibility bides us in ass here. We
> know this hurts, but we cannot really do anything about it.
>
> Why? Well, there is not predefined way on how the content is rendered on the
> website. You can use TYPO3 CMS for a fully AJAX website that spits out JSON
> content or you can create a one page site out of many pages. You can create
> a traditional site or you can use it for completely non-web publishing
> processes. The issue here is, that you cannot know (or calculate) how a
> certain record will be rendered on a website. It might just be places as
> content object (on a traditional website) or it might not even be rendered
> at all. It might show up on a different page or even on all pages, because
> it is directly references via TypoScript (RECORD).
> It might not even show up at all, because some part of the website is hidden
> because not link to it is rendered.
>
> Essentially you cannot know programmatically, how a record will show up on
> which URL. And that is what you need to know to write a search.
> So how does indexed search solves this? It solves it by introducing markers
> that wrap text that should show up in search and analyzes only fully
> rendered cached! pages. Why only cached pages? Because the website can be
> completely different for logged-in users or user with a certain browser or
> visitors from a certain country or a few docent other conditions. Cached
> pages must have a finite amount of conditions that can be taken into account
> for searches as well.
>
> How does solr solves this? They allow you to create rules for every kind of
> record. This results in a very long list of rules and still needs custom
> code for complex cases.
>
> Therefore you can either index mostly static pages witch is almost trivial
> (indexed_search) or you can use a big solution that needs a complex (and
> expensive) setup.
> Of course there are solutions in between like ke_search, but they will not
> cover every situation.
>
> After all it boils down to what record will show up where. Therefore a
> search is as custom to a site as the template used to render those records.
> Nobody bother yet enough to write a search engine that is as flexible as
> templating approach and I am very sure that if someone did, a lot of people
> would complain that it is sooo complicated to setup.

> [...]

Philipp, thx. for explanation. Web sites i'm working on mostly use
text/img content type and tt_news so i don't infact need something ultra
complex. I was in search of replacement for indexed search because it
was not working good for a 1000+ pages web site so i found mnoGoSearch.
It works fine but i don't like this links indexing outside search
markers. Maybe i will try ke_search, will see.

Regards.