[TYPO3-english] What is the difference between 4.x and 6.x? And is that neos?

Michael Schams typo3.lists at 2014.trash.schams.net
Mon Jun 23 15:05:09 CEST 2014

On 23/06/14 22:55, Stephen Bungert wrote:

> So is 6.x a transitionary step between 4.x and neos? Why would someone
> want that? Wouldn't it be better to stick with 4.x or go completely with
> something new?

Hi Stephen,

It think, Vasiliy's comment wasn't meant too serious :-)

It's a little bit complicated, but let me try to explain it as short as
possible: "TYPO3" is the brand name. "TYPO3 CMS" and "Neos" are two
products under that brand (there are more, but not relevant for your
question).

TYPO3 CMS covers all versions of this content management system starting
from version 3.0 (released in 2001) to the latest release 6.2 LTS
(released in March 2014), including versions 4.x.

The 4.x branch includes version 4.0 (released in 2006), 4.1, 4.2,... up
to 4.7 (released in 2012). The only 4.x-version that is still officially
supported is 4.5 LTS (Long Term Support).

TYPO3 CMS version 6.x is based on 4.x. You could call it the successor
of 4.x. There are some significant changes between 4 and 6, but TYPO3
CMS follows a strict compatibility policy and most sites (especially if
they are in 4.5, 4.6 or 4.7) can be updated to 6.x with no or little
adjustments.

There will be no further releases of versions of the 4.x branch.

"TYPO3 Neos" (or just "Neos") is a separate product - the
next-generation open source CMS - developed from scratch. TYPO3 CMS and
Neos have different qualities, different architectures, completely
different user interfaces, etc. It depends on your project, which of
these systems meet your requirements.

I hope this very quick wrap up answers your question?

The following resources explain it a little bit more in detail (or reply
to this list/forum if you need some further details):

http://typo3.org/about/the-brand/the-typo3-family/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TYPO3#Version_history
http://typo3.org/download/
http://typo3.org/download/release-notes/whats-new/