[TYPO3-english] Import calendar data from an .ics file into tt_news

Jerome P portal.j at hotmail.fr
Sat Jun 14 18:29:15 CEST 2014

Hello everyone,

On a website running TYPO3 6.2, tt_news is used for news and events management, and I have been asked to import into tt_news events from a SOGo calendar. As far as i know, I will have to import the corresponding .ics file, but I didn't find any solution for that :
- tt_news doesn't have any tool for that
- I saw the cal extension, but it seems that it can only import .ics data for itself - and even retrieve data from tt_news - whereas I would like tt_news to retrieve these informations, using cal if needed ; but I didn't see anything to link these 2 extensions the way I would like
- I also found tx_news, but again, nothing to import an .ics file

Without using an existing extension, I suppose I would have to periodically (with a cron, and for example using Gabriel scheduling engine) retrieve that .ics file, and then execute a script that would parse the data and insert what is needed in tt_news tables (but it seems to me that creating an extension is not too far from doing that).

I am quite surprised to not find a solution for that ; tt_news extension is used a lot, same thing for iCalendar standard and .ics files.

Do I have to create a kind of little extension just for an import, or did I have not searched enough ?

Jerome