[TYPO3-english] Website Synchronisation

Christian Reiter cr at cNOSPAMxd.de
Fri Jun 6 10:53:22 CEST 2014

> and for the change in place:
> I hate it to have multiple files with the same name but different
> content. on my sites as on every website.
> if a new version is released give it a new name _including_ the version.

Real situation:

There is a legal conflict.
You get a cease and desist/ "Einstweilige verfügung". You need to change
a few sentences. You MUST NOT deliver the old version from your website
from tomorrow 09:00 otherwise you pay thousands of euros or go to court
for a long battle.

Even more serious case:

We are looking at a medical prescription information (Medizinische
fachinformation) and serious new side effects are discovered. This
results in a warning ("Rote-Hand-Brief" in German -
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rote-Hand-Brief) and updating the
prescription information.

So: - you must be sure there is no uploads/xxx_05.pdf with the old stuff.

And no fileadmin/product/123/xxx.pdf that has the old stuff and has a
"xxx_new.pdf" to "replace" it.

If your adversary can prove a single currently served link from your
website has the old content you have trouble.

If someone dies because the old prescribing information is loaded from
your server and used *after* the new side effect has become known you
may be sued for damages.

This isn't science fiction, there are several historic examples for this.

I am not talking about extension manuals here.
Properly made documentation includes a date and version INSIDE the
document so that you know what you have independent where it came from
(even if you only have a photocopy of a printout) - look at a
prescription information.

If you need to access outdated information for valid reasons, you will
have to access an archive which may be protected.

Even with extensions it is done this way: If an old  extension version
becomes insecure, it is REMOVED.

http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/realurl

you cannot in fact *download* all versions from the TER.
The versions with security bugs have been removed! Only 1.12.8 and
1.12.7 have the T3x link.
If you need to access them for analytical reasons you can go to the
repository. But it is not publicly distributed.

In the same way you would remove a medical prescription information
completely, if it contains information that turns out to be wrong, and
may lead to side effects up to and including death.

However here you always have only one canonical version. With the
realURL example there are in principle currently two "true" versions, if
you use TYPO3 4.5 you can use 1.12.7 just as well, only for 6.2 you need
1.12.8

But since there is not "human 4.5" and "human 6.2" for prescription
informations there is only ever one "true" version. There are never two
parallel versions that are "both good".

 From an content management perspective the issue is control.

In the situations described need to able to control and guaruantee what
you are serving and not have file duplications or wrong information,
dangerous omissions, comflicting versions etc.

Historically TYPO3 was often *against* file control. The whole idea of
duplicating files in uploads/pics/ was to *remove* the possibility of
central file control (i.e. it should not be posbile to say "All
instances using this file will be changed or removed at once by a single
admin action)

But there are use cases as described where central file control is
important.

By implementing FAL, TYPO3 has in itself realized that central file
control should be supported and is normal.

 > "I have a manual.pdf. on page 6 my manual says to use screw 16b and
 > insert into hole 24b to fix the attachment" (Manual 1.0 of product A,
 > filename: manual.pdf)
 >
 > "I have a manual.pdf too. in my manual it says on page 7 I should use
 > screw 14c and insert it into hole 28a to fix the attachment" (Manual 2.5
 > of product B, filename: manual.pdf)

If it turns out that using screw 16b was wrong and your oil refinery can
*explode* because of that, you REALLY shouldn't be offering the old,
wrong manual anymore and should contact all your customers...

So duplicating files is fine and may be the absolute right way for you
to manage content but there are legitimate use cases where it is not right.

But really this has nothing to do with "Website Synchroniation" anymore.

The same discussions happened exactly 10 years ago! - and absolutely
nothing has changed - some people want to keep duplicated files, some
don't.

It is the requirements of the use case that decide which is right.

Best regards,

Christian