[TYPO3-english] Website Synchronisation

bernd wilke t3ng at bernd-wilke.net
Fri Jun 6 08:28:35 CEST 2014

Am 05.06.14 17:55, schrieb Christian Reiter:
> Hi,
>

>> just imagine you can upload files but can not rename them afterwards.
>>
>> the solution is: don't update the file in place but change the CE to
>> reference a new file.
>
> That doesn't solve the given requirement:
>
> A file that is referenced widely including external links, such as
> fileadmin/product/123/Manual.pdf, needs to be updated.
>
> I need to be able to change that content. It would  IMHO be a bit
> strange to say "In our content management system we can never change an
> existing file but must always create a new one..."
>>
>> using FAL can make the handling easier as one file changed globaly can
>> be realized by a new reference in one record instead of changes in all
>> records by changing the reference to this file.
>
> Just like DAM, if I change the sys file record UID 1234 to point to
> "Manual_2.pdf" instead of "Manual.pdf" then all the references to the
> DAM or FAL record will use the Manual_2.pdf instead.
>
> However old external links will still deliver the old manual.
>
> If you've needed to update that for legal reasons - big problem ;)
>
> Updating in place is in fact officially supported in TYPO3.
>
> In TYPO3 6.2 it works with drag & drop in the FAL Filelist module.
>
> It asks me "Shall existing files be overwritten" when I drag the new
> Manual.pdf onto TYPO3 File List.
>
> When I confirm it is transparently overwritten.
>
> This is what users expect and they love the Drag & Drop.
>
> Why should it suddenly be a solution to not use this capability anymore?

I don't say it is not possible at all.
It is not possible with workspaces (yet?).

and for the change in place:
I hate it to have multiple files with the same name but different
content. on my sites as on every website.
if a new version is released give it a new name _including_ the version.

"I have a manual.pdf. on page 6 my manual says to use screw 16b and
insert into hole 24b to fix the attachment" (Manual 1.0 of product A,
filename: manual.pdf)

"I have a manual.pdf too. in my manual it says on page 7 I should use
screw 14c and insert it into hole 28a to fix the attachment" (Manual 2.5
of product B, filename: manual.pdf)

have you ever gathered extension manuals for a documentation of an
installation?
they all are named 'manual.sxw', they are 'distinguished' by other
pathes (typo3conf/ext/<extkey>/doc/manual.sxw) but no version in name or
path.

and the other confusion:
if someone explicit wants the old manual (because he wants the matching
manual to his old product) he has no chance to get it at all.

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html