[TYPO3-english] Website Synchronisation

Christian Reiter cr at cNOSPAMxd.de
Thu Jun 5 17:11:34 CEST 2014

Hi,

Of course if the type of changes that need to be staged fit inside that
which can be done with workspaces, that is preferrable because it is
there out of the box.

In the projects where I have worked with content staging, there were
usually requirements that didn't fit so well with Workspaces although I
am not up to date with the newest developments.

"Content" as perceived by the users often doesn't consist just of the
database but also of the files associated with it.

How do I solve situations with workspaces where file contents at the
same path (images, PDF downloads etc) are different between stage and live?

for example I am updating the pages for a product. There is new text in
tt_content etc but I am also overwriting "Operating_Manual.pdf" and
"Packshot.jpg" to reflect the changes, but the files need to remain at
the same place. I want existing links to the manual (including on
external sites) to deliver the new version after publishing so the path
must remain the same.

Can workspaces do that today?

i.e. - "Workspace Stage: fileadmin/products/1/Manual.pdf" has a
different binary file content than "Workspace Live:
fileadmin/products/1/Manual.pdf" - possible?

The big advantage of content staging is that it allows the systems to be
separate and "anything goes" without for instance any extension ever
having to be "enabled" or "adapted". I remember lots of problems with
extensions, or relations, that wouldn't play nice with WS and this
usually involved digging deep into the structures.

With staging servers you can do anything you want and the single
bottleneck is the implementation of data transfer. No fixing of other
extensions ever.

greetings,
Christian