[TYPO3-english] best practise for multiple layouts (layout selector) with tx_news?

bernd wilke t3ng at bernd-wilke.net
Mon Jul 28 08:45:16 CEST 2014

not much traffic on typo3.projects.news
so I try it here anew:

I'm looking for an example/documentation for best practise how to use
multiple layouts for displaying news.
the layouts should be selectable by editors, so the field 'Template
Layout' on tab 'Template' seems the correct solution.

I found the chapter 'Custom Templates by using the Layout selector' in
the manual [1] but this example seems only half way:

1. it covers only list mode (in detail mode the switching needs to be on
different files/levels(?) )
2. this can not be handled in separate files but results in endless (for
much more than two layouts) stacked f:if tags

I imagined something like:

news
: +-Private
: : +-Layouts
: : : +-layout1.html
: : : :
: : : +-layoutN.html
: : +-Partials
: : : +-p1.html
: : : :
: : : +-pN.html
: : +-Templates
: : : +-News
: : : : +-template1.html
: : : : :
: : : : +-templateN.html

where the selection in the plugin directly is assocciated with
layoutX.html or templateX.html for each selection of 'what to display'
(List view, detail view, date menu, ...)
So the possibility to deploy a set of templates (list, detail, ...)
could be given by adding only some files (and maybe one additional TS
config line), instead of adding another <f:if><f:then><f:else> in the
central files.

[1]
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/news/Main/Templating/Additional/Index.html

bernd