[TYPO3-english] [backend] real name truncated to the first letter when logging in

bernd wilke t3ng at bernd-wilke.net
Mon Jul 14 08:56:44 CEST 2014

Am 13.07.14 15:51, schrieb Jerome P:
> Hi everyone,
>
> After having migrated from TYPO3 4.5 to 6.2, I have some problems with
> my user realname (I have an admin user).
>
> Previously, it was "Jérôme P.", and now it's just "J".
> The same thing happened to another user (also with an accentuation on
> the second letter), only the first letter was keeped (I think this user
> sometimes logged in during the migration too).
> There are no problems with the rest of the users (they still have their
> correct real name in the database), even though several have an
> accentuation on the second letter ; but I know that none of them logged in.
>
> So I guess something happen during the connexion... at first, I thought
> it was because of some character encoding problems, but all (database,
> TYPO3, connection, ...) is in UTF-8.
>
> I then tried to modify my real name in "User settings" module ; the
> modification is saved, and when I do F5 my real name is correctly
> displayed in the BE (in the top right corner). After I log out, if I log
> in with another account, the real name is still the correct one inside
> the database ; but if I log in with my account, my real name is again
> truncated...
> Same thing happen if I modify my real name directly inside the database
> instead of using "User settings" module.
>
> LDAP is used for authentication (like before the migration), could it be
> the reason of these unwanted modifications ?
>
> So I also tried something else : I created with the install tool an
> admin user, with real name = "Témp admin". There is no problem with this
> one, the real name remains the correct one, I can log in and log out
> without seeing the real name truncated.
>
> Does someone know how these things are happening, how logging in can
> modify the database ? and where it's configured ?
>
> Thanks in advance !

I don't know exactly, but a thought come to mind:
maybe it is not the login by itself but a routine the user record is
written(updated) afterwards?
this is done if the user uses specific configuration like selecting a
different (list) view than the default, or if he opens/closes nodes of
the page tree.
maybe you can enhance your test with "Témp admin":
login
navigate inside the page tree/
in web -> list select
[x] Extended view