[TYPO3-english] [backend] real name truncated to the first letter when logging in

Jerome P portal.j at hotmail.fr
Sun Jul 13 15:51:38 CEST 2014

Hi everyone,

After having migrated from TYPO3 4.5 to 6.2, I have some problems with my user realname (I have an admin user).

Previously, it was "Jérôme P.", and now it's just "J".
The same thing happened to another user (also with an accentuation on the second letter), only the first letter was keeped (I think this user sometimes logged in during the migration too).
There are no problems with the rest of the users (they still have their correct real name in the database), even though several have an accentuation on the second letter ; but I know that none of them logged in.

So I guess something happen during the connexion... at first, I thought it was because of some character encoding problems, but all (database, TYPO3, connection, ...) is in UTF-8.

I then tried to modify my real name in "User settings" module ; the modification is saved, and when I do F5 my real name is correctly displayed in the BE (in the top right corner). After I log out, if I log in with another account, the real name is still the correct one inside the database ; but if I log in with my account, my real name is again truncated...
Same thing happen if I modify my real name directly inside the database instead of using "User settings" module.

LDAP is used for authentication (like before the migration), could it be the reason of these unwanted modifications ?

So I also tried something else : I created with the install tool an admin user, with real name = "Témp admin". There is no problem with this one, the real name remains the correct one, I can log in and log out without seeing the real name truncated.

Does someone know how these things are happening, how logging in can modify the database ? and where it's configured ?

Thanks in advance !