[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 and character encoding problems

Pero Peric pperic at mail.com
Tue Jul 8 12:21:01 CEST 2014

On 8.7.2014. 11:12, Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 7-7-2014 21:32, Pero Peric wrote:
>> Database character set is UTF-8
>> Character set of all tables is UTF-8
>> Character set of all columns is UTF-8
>> All columns seem to contain correctly encoded data
>
> Okay, most common problems are not present, which is actually a good
> thing (although you might not think so :-) )
>
>> Like all is ok, but it's not. I can see that hexadecimal char values are
>> not right in DB.
>>
>> What I would like to know - what does forceCharset setting do? If i set
>> this to blank in 4.4.0 i get garbage characters. If i set it to UTF-8
>> all is fine. I searched to find how TYPO3 convert this but didn't find
>> anything :-(
>
> [BE][forceCharset] sets the character set for the backend of TYPO3. If
> you don't set it browsers may use different character sets (for example
> in different countries). In case of multi-language content and editors
> all over the world you can imagine that content can be submitted in a
> mix of character sets and encodings and also stored this way.
>
> Without a forced character set it just depends on what your browser
> decides to use and send to the server. Maybe you can see in your browser
> somewhere which character set it decides to use in your 4.4 backend. It
> could be that Č in that character set has the same position as Ä in
> ISO-8895-1 (the internal default character set in PHP) and because the
> database connection was set up as UTF-8 it was stored as hex C384.
> If you find out which character set was used by the browser in 4.4 it
> could be used to construct queries that convert the data into the
> correct characters.

Thank you for help. I will try to investigate more. Ah, i hate those
encodings. I think the problem here is that i didn't have SET NAMES
UTF8; set in localconf in 4.4.0 so it used who knows what encoding. When
i do SET NAMES then i get same thing as in 4.7.19. Will report more on
this when i solve it hopefully.

Regards.