[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 and character encoding problems

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Mon Jul 7 21:06:05 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 7-7-2014 16:26, Pero Peric wrote:
> I tried many things but nothing works. In this conversion scripts it is
> always assumed that tables/columns are in Latin1 but all my table
> definitions are UTF8.

When 4.7 was published I wrote a script to convert the database, table
and columns to UTF-8. It also tries to detect the most common problem of
double UTF-8 encoded data and attempts to solve this by making MySQL
re-interpret the data.
It won't work with 6.x (but I haven't seen 6.x installations with
databases that aren't fully UTF-8).

1. Backup your database (really!! make a backup)
2. See: step 1.
3. Empty tables you don't really need. cache_* tables, sys_log, can be
very large and if you can live without the data the conversion is a lot
faster.
4. Download http://www.typo3coder.nl/fileadmin/downloads/fixdb.zip
5. Put the script inside that archive in /typo3/install/
6. Run /typo3/install/fixdb.php in your browser (if there is no
ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL file you'll see a warning)

7. Check if the problem is solved. If no, restore database backup; in
any case remove fixdb.php !!

Hope it helps.

--
Jigal van Hemert