[TYPO3-english] Can't copy alternative lang. items

bernd wilke t3ng at bernd-wilke.net
Mon Jan 27 09:03:47 CET 2014

Am 24.01.14 16:22, schrieb Miguel:
> Thank you for your time Bernd.
>
> Question 1: I created the translation file (for French), called it
> "fr.locallang.xlf" and placed it in "/typo3/sysext/felogin/pi1". After
> this, in "Language" menu i checked "French" and then checked the
> language in the extension "felogin" . A message appeared on screen
> saying "Translation update completed".

that's not the correct place for translations.
just put your translation into
typo3conf/l10n/fr/<same path than default-lang beyond typo3conf/ext/>

> This translated some parts, but the translation that i have defined in
> "fr.locallang.xlf" is not the one that is appearing. Am i missing some
> steps ?

there you may find previous/global translations which were loaded from
TER with the BE-language module.

> Question 2: Can you tell where to find a snippet or some code that helps
> me to differentiate the string according with the selected language?

the handling is done inside the TYPO3 core and you just call the central
function to get a string. the handling is dependent on your TYPO3
configuration.
1. you need a language configuration [1]

2. you can configure fallback
config.sys_language_* on [2]

3. in the function call you may provide another default-text. (if you
just use an extension you depend on the extension author)

after the language to display is decided it depends where a translation
is found.
the main place is typo3conf/l10n/.... which may be overwritten by a
typoscript configuration [3]. if no translation is found the same search
may be initiated for each fallback language. up to the default-string in
the function call.

[1] http://pi-phi.de/116.html
[2]
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/TyposcriptReference/Setup/Config/Index.html