[TYPO3-english] Installation Problem

Paul Smith webmaster at vanislebc.com
Mon Jan 20 04:20:42 CET 2014

I've tried to search the english forum for help with the installation of the government version but cannot find any help other than one post.  I have unzipped the version and ftp'd it to a directory called webdev in the root of the site I want to change over to TYPO3.  The problem is when I tried to install using the install tool I got an error stating there was no "ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL" file so I created one and made it 777.  Then I refreshed the browser and got a php error referencing no "LocalConfiguration.php" so I created that and also made it 777.  Next I refreshed the browser one more time and now I see this "LocalConfiguration invalid."  Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to install this cms?  What am I missing?