[TYPO3-english] Re: 6.2.0 Install Tool Update Wizard: MySQL-Error

Thomas Skierlo tsk at pix-pro.eu
Fri Jan 17 13:58:25 CET 2014

Hi Markus,

Quote: Markus Klein (liayn) wrote on Fri, 17 January 2014 13:07

Neither am I, but I filed everything I could on the forge issue tracker of "static_info_tables" (see http://forge.typo3.org/issues/54160).

> > Anyhow. The problem continues. Installed "Static Info Tables" yesterday and
> > I'm getting collation related fatals since then. Removing the static template
> > solves them, reapplying brings them back. So I think that the core now is
> > 'utf8_unicode_ci" ready, but are any extensions?
> Please find out which SQL statement is responsible here. Otherwise we're not able to identify if it is a Core issue or an extension issue.
>

> > I really don't know what to do now. Initially all I wanted to do is test my new
> > extension (which is made for 6.2) on 6.2.0. Since 6.2 will hopefully once be a
> > solid base for the next years, it is important that it incorporates current
> > standards, and all recommendations are for utf8_unicode_ci.
> I agree we should target modern standards.

Right. Going back here is like losing a war. Besides that. I've been asked more than once for utf8_unicode_ci by customers. They nowadays read recommendations too :-)

Is there any kind of better forum to discuss this early-adopting issues? Problems always are kind of "unpleasant", and discussing them always has a scent of defetism, even if they are normal at this stage of a brand new release. Talking about problems may prevent someone from early-adopting, but not doing so finally leads into a loss of market, if important features are missing.

In my oppinion people should be encourraged to use 6.2.0, at least, if they have some experience with typical issues on new major releases. But people will not start to migrate if their questions keep unanswered. It is just impossible to dive into the source code of any extension and search for days for possible issues. I can afford to spend some unpaid month for R&D, but honestly, who else can?

> > It seems, that nobody else is using 6.2.0 currently, since 90% of my questions
> > here and on other lists remain unanswered. Or nobody is using
> > utf8_unicode_ci. Maybe I should go back to general, leaving this problem to
> > other generations :-)
> Like we do with every other concern in modern politics? (at least in AUT/GER)

Kind regards,

Thomas