[TYPO3-english] Re: Re: 6.2.0 Install Tool Update Wizard: MySQL-Error

Thomas Skierlo tsk at pix-pro.eu
Fri Jan 17 12:45:20 CET 2014

Quote: Philipp Gampe (pgampe) wrote on Fri, 17 January 2014 12:17
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas Skierlo wrote:
>
> > Or nobody is using utf8_unicode_ci.
>
> I think this is the issue.

Hi Philipp,

this leaves me with a question: Does nobody else see any necessity to support a modern collation (without sorting problems)? We are not talking about a feature which could be introduced after the official release, since no sane person would change collations in an utf8 environment without very good reason. I think, my behaviour might be typical for other users too. Use TYPO3 4.5 with the Volkswagen collation utf8_general_ci, start new with 6.2., and use this step to start with a better, more modern collation. Besides that, the core seems to be ready after latest changes, and I did not see any errors with Gridelements or my own extensions yet. So I think only very few extensions might be effected. Probably the ones which access db without using core functions.

Cheers

Thomas