[TYPO3-english] 6.2.0 Install Tool Update Wizard: MySQL-Error

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Wed Jan 15 09:30:24 CET 2014

Hi Thomas,

> I'm currently trying to get TYPO3 6.2.0 (yesterdays master, fresh
> install) to work with utf8_unicode_ci collation (instead of
> utf8_general_ci), but whenever I click on "Update Wizard" in the Install
> Tool, I'm getting this mySQL Error:
>
> llegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and
> (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '<>'
>
> My my.cnf:
>
> [mysqld]
> character-set-server=utf8
> collation-server = utf8_unicode_ci
> init-connect='SET NAMES utf8'
>
> To make absolutely sure I created an empty database with explicit
> collation utf8_unicode_ci
> before I started TYPO3 setup. Right after setup I checked all tables as
> well as the database. All on "utf8_unicode_ci", looking perfect.
>
> DB Check just loved everythink. Everything "green".
>
> Unless I click on "Update Wizard" in the Install Tool. Doing so it gives
> me an SQL Error:
>
> exec_SELECTquery
> ERROR: Illegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and
> (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '<>'
> lastBuiltQuery : SELECT COUNT(uid) FROM tt_content WHERE media <> '' AND
> CAST(CAST(media AS DECIMAL) AS CHAR) <> media OR (CType = 'uploads' AND
> select_key != '')

According to http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/charset-convert.html

If you use CAST() without specifying CHARACTER SET, the resulting
character set and collation are defined by the character_set_connection
and collation_connection system variables. If you use CAST() with
CHARACTER SET X, the resulting character set and collation are X and the
default collation of X.

So I would suggest to double check if your DBinit param sets the
character_set to use *for the connection*.

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers
TYPO3 CMS Team Member