[TYPO3-english] Fatal error on upgrading from 6.1.7 to 6.2.0beta5

Markus Klein klein.t3 at mfc-linz.at
Fri Feb 21 14:06:47 CET 2014

Hi!

> Hi Markus,
>
> Quote: Markus Klein (liayn) wrote on Fri, 21 February 2014 13:28
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > sorry, but
> > > I've never seen a TYPO3 version since 4.2 with so many breaking changes
> and it's hard to imagine that we'll get a 'smooth migration' for the vast
> majority of 4.5 sites. Hopefully they'll postpone the release again, since there
> might be too many bleeding edges for production use.
> >
> > yes, this is ranting for me. And that frustrates myself.
> >

> First things first. A breaking change is not bad by definition. It just requires
> some action to get the expected behaviour back. Since a lot of deprecated
> code has been removed from 6.2 the work needed for an upgrade is bigger
> than ever (my point of view, after going the way). Besides that, you never
> know if an issue is related to deprecated code or if it's just another bug,
> which might be gone a day or two later.

Well, a removed deprecation after two versions is not a breaking change.
If one has lots of work to do now, it means that he/she just didn't take care about deprecations for at least two versions.

It's fairly easy to distinguish deprecations from bugs by simply turning on the deprecation log in you extension-dev environment before upgrading.

Try this https://review.typo3.org/27587

> > I fully understand your frustration, and I also spent quite some hours on
> bugfixing and reviewing and sometimes it is really breathtaking how long it
> takes to get this and that fixed. But that is open source, everybody has the
> right to comment on things, or simply to do nothing.
> >
> > Regarding your firm understanding of GIT. It does not require to
> understand the whole GIT tool to test patches. Actually you're done with 3
> commands.
> > (btw: not many people fully understand the whole GIT, or even the
> mechanics which is behind it, that is just f*** complex)
> >

> I'll start learning it right after finishing learning about latest documentation
> standards. Promise!

Great!

> > So, you're welcome to approach me, if you need tips on the tools and on
> the reviewing process. And it would be great if you could test your upgrade
> paths from 1.5 months ago again on current master. Maybe even apply the
> change sets I posted. Then things should run pretty smooth.
> >

> You've got me wrong. I've had serious issues migrating to 6.2.0, but I don't
> have any serious ones right now.

We're interested in the issues during the migration.

> Regards,
>
> Thomas

Kind regards
Markus