[TYPO3-english] Fatal error on upgrading from 6.1.7 to 6.2.0beta5

Markus Klein klein.t3 at mfc-linz.at
Fri Feb 21 13:28:26 CET 2014

Hi Thomas,

sorry, but
> I've never seen a TYPO3 version since 4.2 with so many breaking changes and it's hard to imagine that we'll get a 'smooth migration' for the vast majority of 4.5 sites. Hopefully they'll postpone the release again, since there might be too many bleeding edges for production use.

yes, this is ranting for me. And that frustrates myself.

I of course appreciate it, if you try to help users, but sentences like the ones above, shed a false light, IMHO, on the current state of 6.2.
What "so many breaking changes" are you referring to?

I fully understand your frustration, and I also spent quite some hours on bugfixing and reviewing and sometimes it is really breathtaking how long it takes to get this and that fixed. But that is open source, everybody has the right to comment on things, or simply to do nothing.

Regarding your firm understanding of GIT. It does not require to understand the whole GIT tool to test patches. Actually you're done with 3 commands.
(btw: not many people fully understand the whole GIT, or even the mechanics which is behind it, that is just f*** complex)

So, you're welcome to approach me, if you need tips on the tools and on the reviewing process. And it would be great if you could test your upgrade paths from 1.5 months ago again on current master. Maybe even apply the change sets I posted. Then things should run pretty smooth.

Kind regards
Markus

Markus Klein
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributors Team Member