[TYPO3-english] CE wrapping other CEs with Fluid

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Fri Feb 21 13:01:11 CET 2014

Am 21.02.2014 00:12, schrieb Jan Bednarik:

> this is how it looks in BE: http://download.bednarik.org/mlt-tv-screen.PNG

Similar to the Gridelements look and feeld, besides the fact that there
would have been two separate columns for the background and the text items.

> There can be as many as you want (+) elements, and you can define its
> position (it's visible in the screen).
>
> The top level container contains background image and link, which, when
> set, will apend "more".
>
> Sounds doable, but I don't like abusing something. Honestly, it sounds
> much more complicated than with TV.

Would be around 30 lines of TypoScript and a small Fluidtemplate.
Not that complicated after all ;-)

> I can imagine putting this together with DCE, which would allow me to
> define content elements with fields I'd need. If it was possible like
> that, then it could work.

You don't need any extension that "allows you to define content elements
with fields you need", since this is part of the TYPO3 core out of the
box. It is called TCA and you can easily create a CType "Text with x and
y position" with it, since especially tt_content already got way enough
fields in it's table. Add some TypoScript for the output and you're
done. I never got the point why people need an additional XML layer to
do exactly, what the core has been providing from the very beginning.

The major differences between your TV solution and the gridelements
approach I described are

a) TV uses XML in a single field, which makes it close to impossible to
select any kind of data via SQL without having to parse the XML. And it
makes data inconsinstent, when data structures chang, while the data
itself does not unless you touch it again.

b) You can use any default element by just referencing it from a grid
container column and it will instantly change it's behaviour - no need
to define anything new at all, neither with FCE nor with TCA

I guess it's a matter of taste and personal priorities which way people
prefer.

Have a nice weekend

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian