[TYPO3-english] APC - how to measure performance improvements

Urs Braem info at ursbraem.ch
Thu Dec 11 20:02:16 CET 2014

Hi!

With PHP 5.5 and TYPO3 6.2, we were able to enable APC on the shared hosting servers we use for TYPO3, which is nice, and the corresponding box in the install tool is now green, which is awesome!

Then again, I'm not sure if I experience the speed gain when using the backend or navigating the site.

So: How can I check, measure or judge if APC has a performance impact?

In php.ini, I have set:

extension=apc.so
apc.enabled=1
apc.shm_segments=1
apc.shm_size=200M

And we are running suPHP, if that's of any interest.

Thanks for any hint!

Specific questions:
* Should rebuilding a page after clearing the cache also be (positively) affected by APC?
* Are the cf_cache_ tables in the DB still in use when APC is enabled, or should that also be outsourced to the APC "world"? (As I'm still getting new entries there)
* And are the php.ini settings above fine?

Thanks for patience with these APC-Noob-Questions

Cheers
Urs