[TYPO3-english] [TYPO3-core] Announcing TYPO3 CMS 7.0

Fri Dec 5 21:11:54 CET 2014

Hi!

Thanks for the clarification, that was the answer I was looking for. :)

As we still have a lot of websites to migrate to 6.2, some relying
heavily on TemplaVoila unfortunately, the next few weeks we will be
discussing what we are going to do. The result will likely be an
intensified migration away from TemplaVoila and early migration of
smaller sites to 7.1+ next year as it doesn't make much sense to run two
migrations within the same year having such severe UI changes as 4.5 =>
6.2 and then again 6.2 => 7.x (while the code may be okay, we will have
to train our customers on the new UI - both times...).

Just two more questions:

Is it foreseeable, how severe the changes to 7.4 (on the roadmap for
June: "Backend Overhaul Vol 2") will be for users who would be trained
on 7.1/7.2 in spring 2015?

For how long will pre-LTS 7.x releases continue to receive security
fixes after their successor has been released? I.e. would we have to
instantly update from 7.1 to 7.2 as soon as it arrives or would we have
1-2 months time to migrate those instances over time? The roadmap cuts
those version short but if pre-LTS versions are going to be used in
production, it's hard to perform instant upgrades on all of them at once
(speaking of handling updates correctly, not just updating the typo_src
symlink - that's actually just a matter of seconds).

Thanks,
Daniel