[TYPO3-english] [TYPO3-core] Announcing TYPO3 CMS 7.0

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri Dec 5 11:04:23 CET 2014

Hi,

On 04/12/2014 19:56, Daniel Neugebauer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We got similar questions when we saw the roadmap today. Your previous
> answer already solves some of them but IMHO there's one even more
> important question that has to be asked:
>
> On 12/04/2014 04:35 PM, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
>> When CMS 7 LTS is out, you can base new things on that one or upgrade
>> from 6.2 again - but you don't need to (as quickly as you need to move
>> from 4.5 to 6.2 imho).
>>
>> If you're "advanturous" you can of course start something new on 7.0.
>> But please note that it contains new feature and larger changes that
>> might need to stablize a bit first. So upgrading from there to 7.1 etc.
>> should be on your roadmap then imho.
>
> You wrote "when CMS 7 LTS is out" - well, actually it is out now. At
> least, that's what the homepage says... ;)
>
> Looking at the roadmap it sounds more like all versions until 7 LTS are
> going to be development releases - and development releases usually
> shouldn't be used in production. I'm not sure if that is the case or if
> every version until 7 LTS already is considered stable enough for
> production use. Of course, x.0 versions of *any* software probably isn't
> but what about the upcoming releases 7.1, 7.2, ...?

With version 7 we changed the development phases a bit.
Previously there was a long period where all new features would go into
the core. Then a feature freeze was declared and the new features were
thoroughly tested and bugs were fixed. This was followed by the actual
release of the new version.
With version 7 this process is repeated in smaller releases; each
concentrates around a specific subject. A shorter period of merging new
features is followed by a feature freeze and a bugfixing period. After
that 7.0 stable is released. Next we'll concentrate on developing a new
set of features, feature freeze, bugfixing and the release of 7.1.
After a number of these cycles we come to the release of 7LTS. After
this release only bugfixes will be added to the code base.

This means that 7.0 is stable, 7.1 is stable and so on. Also, there will
not be any bugfix releases of 7.0, except for security issues. All other
bugfixes will go into 7.1.

Because of this we have to make sure that upgrades between 7.0 and the
following 7.x versions are "smooth". You might have to run an upgrade
wizard to make it work with the changes.

> If all versions but the next LTS release(s) are going to be development
> releases, does that mean TYPO3 has switched to major releases only (no
> more stable/production minor releases, stable versions are always LTS
> and each LTS ends the current major version)?

The non-LTS versions were much less used in the real world than the LTS
version(s). We also had the burden of a lot of branches that were still
maintained (at some point it was 4.5, 4.7, 6.0, 6.1 and the development
of 6.2).

Now there is a choice between a released LTS version which only receives
important bugfixes and security fixes and a version which receives new
features and bugfixes (also security fixes). The latter is stable, but
will get changes in the backend interface and new possibilities will
become available in later updates.

> And of course, I'm wondering why development on TYPO3 continues in such
> way - wouldn't it be better to concentrate all development on Neos
> instead? Sorry for asking what you probably have been asked so often
> already, but I actually thought that a complete Neos would be the next
> big release, not TYPO3 7. :)

There have been a lot of publications that Neos is the next generation
CMS with new concepts. But, it doesn't yet have all the functionality
that TYPO3 CMS has (e.g. workspaces workflow) and it is not possible to
migrate content from CMS to Neos (at least nobody created a migration
tool yet). Furthermore there are a lot of users of CMS who are not
interested in moving to Neos in the near future.
These are some of the reasons why it was decided that development of
TYPO3 CMS should not slow down in any way as long as there are enough
people interested in using and developing it.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!