[TYPO3-english] Re: [TYPO3-core] Announcing TYPO3 CMS 7.0

Urs Braem info at ursbraem.ch
Fri Dec 5 10:26:47 CET 2014

Hi again

Thanks for the replies!

@Daniel : I'm aware I kind of hijacked Benni's original announcement post too, but I would suggest keeping the thread to TYPO3 CMS roadmap and maintenance, and discussing the whole CMS vs. Neos thing in another thread. Btw https://twitter.com/TYPO3Neos has been very active recently!

I think the roadmap on http://typo3.org/typo3-cms/roadmap/ needs more detail. The "present" is completely missing now, the PDF that was showing the maintenance period for 4.5, 6.2 etc. is gone, and the new one starts with 7. Maybe that's the main point: the roadmap should include the existing versions too. E.g. I interpret that 6.2 could be kept until 8 LTS, as it has been said it's vaild until spring '17.

It would be reassuring for the community to *see* all that in a graph, in a reliable and consolidated way (no IMHOs and AFAIKs). Do you know who's in charge of that?

Stefan:
> Imho that step will be a bit too large. Like usual we then suggest to go from 4.5 to 6.2 first, check for everything working (including deprecation-log being silent etc.) and from there continue to 7 LTS.

That would be good news, as efforts (generated costs for clients) for upgrading to 6.2 wouldn't have been in vain then, which was what I was fearing.

Cheers!
Urs

PS: I kind of remind myself of the occasional noise-driven police officer busting our squat parties ages ago: "Who's the boss here?" Everybody: "Haha we have no boss p*** off". - TYPO3 IS open source and contributors do so much work freely, and it grows organically. Indeed, and that is great. Still, someone *does* decide on the releases and maintenance cycles, and those things should be nailed as officially as possible.