[TYPO3-english] [TYPO3-core] Announcing TYPO3 CMS 7.0

Thu Dec 4 23:58:42 CET 2014

Hi!

On 12/04/2014 09:12 PM, Jo Hasenau wrote:
> It says "TYPO3 CMS 7 out now!"

Oh, sorry, my fault... Of course it doesn't say *LTS* yet (although I
re-cited it, I missed the "LTS" when reading Stefan's answer; oops... I
had a long day, sorry again).

> You can use them in production but of course you are not forced to. So
> feel free to switch to any CMS 7.x version you think is stable enough
> for your production needs.

That actually sounds quite different from previous minor revisions - all
previous minor revisions were (to my knowledge) officially declared
stable enough for broad use in production, so knowing the changes on a
higher level you could "easily" estimate and switch to them at any time,
not having to expect that it breaks more things unexpectedly than it
fixes. The latest roadmap reads a bit different, each release appears to
be somewhat experimental until the LTS arrives. Having to check if a
revision "is stable enough for our needs" sounds as if every future
minor revision would work more like alpha/beta versions than a final
release you are supposed to be upgrading to. So far, LTS was just the
version to stay on if you don't like jumping through all your projects
and re-educating your customers on BE usage as soon as there's a new
(non-LTS) minor revision every half year (which is a real pain on
corporate websites we luckily only had for a short time, having started
with just 4.2).

> As far as I understood, the plan is to release those sprint versions in
> a quite stable state, while unstable or alpha versions of features have
> to become more stable before they will make it into on of the next
> sprint releases.

However, that sounds like the previous minor revisions again, so
actually there is no real change of version semantics? All minor
revisions (apart from maybe 7.0) are _officially_ supposed to be as
stable as e.g. 4.7 or 6.1? So we don't have to decide on ourselves if a
release is "stable enough"? (making such decisions on your own can be
quite hard and time-consuming, so you would usually rely on the official
opinion of the core development team instead and trust them not to
release unstable revisions unless they are explicitely marked as such)

> Since the TYPO3 world is about Open Source and voluntary development of
> most of the contributors, you can not force people to work on a certain
> project. While on the one hand it seems to be better to increase the
> manpower for just one product, on the other hand it's a really cool
> thing that you can have both, NEOS and TYPO3 CMS and you can choose the
> one that fits your needs best, while they still share concepts, ideas
> and code.

Sure, but after all, I got the impression that TYPO3 would not get such
a huge overhaul again following the release of 6.2 LTS in common favor
of adding the still missing essential features to Neos instead which
would make it competable as a successor to TYPO3. In fact, (from the
perspective of one who is not involved in either TYPO3 or Neos
development) it now again appears that Neos doesn't have the support it
was originally supposed to get at this point. While TYPO3 wouldn't be
the first project to discard an experimental rewrite/successor in favor
of the original project and re-integrating everything there, it did come
as a surprise to read about the changes in 7.x. Neos hasn't been dropped
(yet?), but it feels a bit strange.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about anything here, I was just
left a bit puzzled by the announcement of 7.0 and the 7.x roadmap while
expecting Neos to take over in 2-3 years, that's all. :)

Bye,
Daniel