[TYPO3-english] [TYPO3-core] Announcing TYPO3 CMS 7.0

Jo Hasenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu Dec 4 21:12:48 CET 2014

Am 04.12.2014 19:56, schrieb Daniel Neugebauer:
> Hi!
>
> We got similar questions when we saw the roadmap today. Your previous
> answer already solves some of them but IMHO there's one even more
> important question that has to be asked:
>
> On 12/04/2014 04:35 PM, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
>> When CMS 7 LTS is out, you can base new things on that one or upgrade
>> from 6.2 again - but you don't need to (as quickly as you need to move
>> from 4.5 to 6.2 imho).
>>
>> If you're "advanturous" you can of course start something new on 7.0.
>> But please note that it contains new feature and larger changes that
>> might need to stablize a bit first. So upgrading from there to 7.1 etc.
>> should be on your roadmap then imho.
>
> You wrote "when CMS 7 LTS is out" - well, actually it is out now. At
> least, that's what the homepage says... ;)

It says "TYPO3 CMS 7 out now!" And the news article says:
"TYPO3 CMS 7.0 is the first sprint release on our way towards the final
7 LTS"

> Looking at the roadmap it sounds more like all versions until 7 LTS are
> going to be development releases - and development releases usually
> shouldn't be used in production. I'm not sure if that is the case or if
> every version until 7 LTS already is considered stable enough for
> production use. Of course, x.0 versions of *any* software probably isn't
> but what about the upcoming releases 7.1, 7.2, ...?

You can use them in production but of course you are not forced to. So
feel free to switch to any CMS 7.x version you think is stable enough
for your production needs.

> If all versions but the next LTS release(s) are going to be development
> releases, does that mean TYPO3 has switched to major releases only (no
> more stable/production minor releases, stable versions are always LTS
> and each LTS ends the current major version)?

As far as I understood, the plan is to release those sprint versions in
a quite stable state, while unstable or alpha versions of features have
to become more stable before they will make it into on of the next
sprint releases.

> And of course, I'm wondering why development on TYPO3 continues in such
> way - wouldn't it be better to concentrate all development on Neos
> instead? Sorry for asking what you probably have been asked so often
> already, but I actually thought that a complete Neos would be the next
> big release, not TYPO3 7. :)

Since the TYPO3 world is about Open Source and voluntary development of
most of the contributors, you can not force people to work on a certain
project. While on the one hand it seems to be better to increase the
manpower for just one product, on the other hand it's a really cool
thing that you can have both, NEOS and TYPO3 CMS and you can choose the
one that fits your needs best, while they still share concepts, ideas
and code.

Just my 2 cents

Joey

--