[TYPO3-english] [TYPO3-core] Announcing TYPO3 CMS 7.0

Stefan Neufeind typo3.neufeind at speedpartner.de
Thu Dec 4 16:35:50 CET 2014

Hi,

On 12/04/2014 03:07 PM, Urs Braem wrote:
> Hi, congratulations, and thank you very much for the great and big work!
>
> And I have big questions about maintenance:
>
> Like many others, I am currently working on several 4.5->6.2 upgrades
> (and 6.1->6.2 as well..should have finished these by now...).  I am
> happy that TYPO3 prospers and advances, but also a bit unsettled by the
> fact that the version I'm upgrading to is already "old" before I even
> finish that work.

I don't think that is a real problem because we exactly planned the new
version-scheme so that LTS-versions overlap. You can now do 6.2 if you
want an LTS and can happily keep it for quite some more time them.
When CMS 7 LTS is out, you can base new things on that one or upgrade
from 6.2 again - but you don't need to (as quickly as you need to move
from 4.5 to 6.2 imho).

If you're "advanturous" you can of course start something new on 7.0.
But please note that it contains new feature and larger changes that
might need to stablize a bit first. So upgrading from there to 7.1 etc.
should be on your roadmap then imho.

If you have your installation with all extensions etc. running cleanly
on 6.2, imho the upgrade to 7.0 is not that huge at the moment. 4.5 to
6.2 was a big step due to structural changes, namespacing, FAL and what not.

> So: What are the recommendations in terms of upgrading from older
> versions?
> * Will the upgrade from 6.2->7 be a similarly big step/workload/cost
> like a ->6.2 upgrade? Or are they much closer api-wise?

Imho we can't give promises for the API 6.2 to 7 yet. There might come
some technical changes here and there where it makes sense.
I personally feel though that the step 6.2 to 7 will be smoother.

> * From which date on would you recommend upgrading directly from 4.5 to
> 7.0?

If you rely on a solid system that you can be running safely for a
longer time, imho 7 LTS would be your choice then. But going for 7.0 on
some project that you'd like to use the new features (performance being
one of them!) for, you can of course surely start with 7.0 already. But
be ready to upgrade to 7.1 etc. then as well.
(Well, you should even upgrade an LTS-version of course :-))

> * Does anyone see a valid scenario where 4.5 could be kept running until
> 7.0 LTS goes live?

That will be "7 LTS" then (no .0). Imho that step will be a bit too
large. Like usual we then suggest to go from 4.5 to 6.2 first, check for
everything working (including deprecation-log being silent etc.) and
from there continue to 7 LTS.

Kind regards,
 Stefan