[TYPO3-english] Upgrade project

bernd wilke t3ng at bernd-wilke.net
Thu Aug 14 08:51:03 CEST 2014

Am 13.08.14 14:54, schrieb Jens W. Skov:
> Hi
>
> I have the task to upgrade a Typo3 4.2.17 running on Ubuntu 6.06.2 :(
> I need get Typo3 up to a current version but I run into the problem that I cannot upgrade the Ubuntu, as 6.06 (Dapper) is way too old.
>
> Should I be able to run 4.2.17 on a Ubuntu 12.4 and the take the upgrade process from there or are that any better ideas?

at first there is no direct relation from TYPO3 to the OS
bit the OS version may decide the Version of PHP! and so there migth be
a dependency.
TYPO3 4.2 already requires PHP 5 [1] but not neccessaryly the now
available and used versions

since 6.0 the requirement is lifted to 5.3.8

your new OS provides a PHP version and you may change it but it has to
match your TYPO3 installation: the TYPO3 core AND all active extensions.

possibly the core update will not be much problematic, but the
extensions: either you have TER-extensions, where much has changed since
TYPO3 4.2. But there could be update-scripts!

individual extensions, not serviced since TYPO3 4.2 will be more
problematic.

first: since 4.6 obsolete marked parts of the core are really removed
from core and usage will break the installation. these obsolte parts
need to be replaced.
The other reat breaking change is the introduction of FAL and namespaces
in 6.0 which results in a lot of changes to most extensions. that also
may include extensions from TER which may not be ready for 6.2

[1]
https://web.archive.org/web/20080322203752/http://typo3.org/about/system-requirements/

bernd
--