[TYPO3-english] Which Version shall i use

Michael Schams typo3.lists at 2014.trash.schams.net
Tue Apr 29 11:31:24 CEST 2014

Hi Christoph,

For new projects, I would recommend to use 6.2.x, because of several
reasons: it's the latest stable release (at the date if this writing),
it's a LTS release (Long Term Support) and will be supported at least
until March 2017 (end of maintenance of 6.1 is October 2014, then you
will likely want to update to 6.2 or a newer version anyway).

Regarding extensions in 6.1 and 6.2:

The TYPO3 core API has not changed completely and features backwards
compatibility, if in accordance with the deprecation strategy [1]. The
core of TYPO3 CMS 6.2 still supports most extensions that were written
for older versions of TYPO3 with no or little modifications.

Extensions, marked as compatible with TYPO3 6.0.x to 6.1.x, often work
in 6.2 without problems.

Maybe you want to contact the author of these extensions? He/she can
upload a new version with an updated compatibility setting to TER in
just a few minutes (hopefully after successfully testing the ext :-)

Cheers
Michael