[TYPO3-english] Analysing performance problems

Mark Roemermann mark at nasaustralia.com.au
Tue Sep 10 05:42:45 CEST 2013

Hi Graham,

I also had periodic lockups in the backend in the past on some shared
virtuozzo hosts with ImageMagick.  I think it is when thumbnails are
generated in the backend, and scaled images for the front end.  If you
can get console access you will see a whole bunch of convert commands
maxing out the CPUs.

I found the non-responsiveness in the backend would last for around
20sec or so until the images where regenerated and then everything would
come good again, which seems similar to your symptoms.

Perhaps you could try disabling image processing [GFX][image_processing]
= 0 from the install tool temporarily, clearing the cache etc and trying
again to see if you still get the problem? (obviously if its in
production that could cause a few problems with images).

Moving to vmware VPS' with a bit more CPU grunt and properly configuring
opcode caching removed the impression of slow responsiveness for me even
with lots of image processing.

Cheers.