[TYPO3-english] Troubleshooting Install Tool Login: Typo3 4.5.18 under Windows

rsbrux rsbrux at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 5 14:38:52 CEST 2013

I am unsuccessfully trying to access the Install Tool in a recently inherited
Typo3-Installation (4.5.18 under Windows 8).  After creating the needed
temporary file to enable the Install module, I am confronted by a login
dialog requiring a password. An attempted login with the default password
(joh316) is unsuccessful, even though the hashcode displayed on the login
page corresponds exactly to the value I found in typo3conf/localconf.php.
Having nothing to lose, I then tried to configure a different password, as
recommended on the login page.
I picked out a new password and used the login page to determine its MD5
code, then I entered the code into typo3conf/localconf.php, replacing the
previous value of:
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['installToolPassword']
Nonetheless, the login is still unsuccessful, even though I have also
emptied the configuration cache.
A search of the web has not turned up any unique considerations to observe
in the (admittedly unconventional) Windows environment.
Is the hash entry in the wrong place?
Why else might the login not work?
Is there something I can do to diagnose the cause of this problem?