[TYPO3-english] Setting of TER mirror in TYPO3 6.x? Or change mirror concept?

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Fri Oct 4 19:26:46 CEST 2013

Hi,

luckily, also younger ones can answer this :-)

I had a look at the TER magic more than a year ago, when typo3.org was
relaunched (and the problem with the mirrors forgotten/ignored/whatever).

As described, it works by rsync transfers initiated by the mirror
servers. And we had the plan to have a ter.typo3.org that will be the
new server hosting the TER and maybe even allowing others to just sync
from it. Unfortunately, until now everything is very tightly coupled
with the typo3.org web site.

As the mirrors are not used with the 6.0 EM (correct my if I'm wrong),
nobody (at least me) had the motivation to pick up that topic. The
really bad thing is that the mirrors don't sync from the new typo3.org
server, they really still sync from the old one. One reason is that we
would have to contact the mirror admins to change the host name (they
all use a .t3o.punkt.de host name) and accept the new SSH key and so on.

That (unfortunately) still hasn't happened, from my side because I very
much think the that implemented concept is bad. Especially when it comes
to download counter, it's horrible (there's a script that was only
active on the old typo3.org server that goes through the access log
every night and reports the download stats via a SOAP request).

With things like composer integration coming sooner or later, I agree
that the whole concept has to be rethought. So I agree with André that
things should better be implemented differently. But I'm really not
sure, what a good solution would be (just use a CDN?) and what the plans
from developer's perspective are (probably composer..).

Yours
Steffen

- --
Steffen Gebert