[TYPO3-english] Extending TCA the 6.1 way

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Tue Oct 1 12:37:49 CEST 2013

Hi Stephan,

> Well, I cannot find any official documentation about this. Instead,
> the current Core API [2] tells me to use ext_tables.php.

Oh, that needs to be updated. Could you open a bug report there, please:

http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-doc_core_api/issues

> So, what to do now? Should I create TCA/{tablename}.php files for my
> very own tables without ext_tables.php on the one side but add
> extending code to the ext_tables.php on the other side?

Yes. You can't avoid using ext_tables.php when extending an existing
table, because you need to call methods like:

\TYPO3\CMS\Core\Utility\ExtensionManagementUtility::addFieldsToPalette();

which you can't do in a TCA/{tablename}.php, since it is expected to
just contain a return statement with an array.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter

Work: Cobweb Development Sarl - http://www.cobweb.ch