[TYPO3-english] Extbase handler for Ajax calls in BE and FE

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Nov 25 14:19:50 CET 2013

Hi Jan,

> The EM example links all call "typo3/mod.php" with params to the module
> and controller and action. This is clear to me. But there is no use of
> AjaxID (typo3/ajax.php), as explained in Francois link and used by me in
> this way until now.

True.

> is there a best practise? Or, what just came into my mind: It seems to
> me that AjaxID for BE is something similar like eID for FE. And using
> Ajax calls to "typo3/mod.php" in BE could be compared to using Ajax
> calls to an own pageType in FE. Could this be right?

Just as with eID where you have to instantiate the whole resources
yourself, as it is thought to be lightweight, you're right, dispatching
through mod.php is exactly the same as dispatching in FE using a custom
pageType.

Dispatching through AjaxID is thus comparable to dispatching through
eID, it forces you to instantiate the whole framework. As seen numerous
times on mailing lists, using a custom pageType is "easier" when it
comes to Extbase-based extensions.

I did not create much AJAX stuff in BE so I cannot tell you which way is
the best way but IMHO AjaxID is old and not the best options anymore
with Extbase. I would be pragmatic and take what has been done recently
in Core modules as "official way" and as such dispatching your AJAX
calls through mod.php is IMHO the way to go.

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6