[TYPO3-english] Longer phase for security fixes of TYPO3 CMS 4.7?

Stephan Großberndt s.grossberndt at sidebysite.de
Fri Nov 22 09:56:27 CET 2013

Hello TYPO3-Team,

good thing you postponed the release of TYPO3 CMS 6.2 LTS. It is far
better to have a complete, stable release than stick to the timetable -
especially for a LTS release. Thanks for your hard work!

What about support for 4.7? Will it end on 2014-04? We upgraded several
projects to 4.7 and also started some with 4.7 long time ago.

Since we use dam a lot and FAL does not seem to offer the same
functionality in those versions we did not upgrade to 6.1. (The other
blocker Debian Squeeze has gone away by now.)

Even if we did upgrade all those sites to 6.1, this would give us only
six more month since 6.1 is currently supported until 2014-10. Plus
things like smooth migration are not available.

I do understand it is a lot of work to support multiple releases, but
the gap between 4.7 and 6.0 is big because of FAL. Upgrading from 6.0 to
6.1 is a lot easier, so end of support for 6.0 by 2014-04 is fine for me.

Please support security fixes for 4.7 for a longer period of time!

Thanks,
Stephan Großberndt

=====

TWIMC: It is probably not the best method to measure but since I fetched
the download count at sourceforge to compare the downloads per release I
thought I might post them here as well. I suppose you have better
methods to measure the distribution.

TYPO3 CMS 4.7, released 2012-04

4.7.0 = 1,732
4.7.1 = 49,493