[TYPO3-english] Moving from subdomain to root

Luis E. Suarez nospam at please.com
Thu Nov 14 17:26:15 CET 2013

Hi all,

I have googled on how to move a TYPO3 site from subdirs to root.  No way.

I have upgraded a medium size (less than 5000 pages) TYPO3 4.1 site into
6.1.  I did the job on a subdomain in order to avoid disturbing the old
4.1 site while working in the new one.  The new one is a carbon copy of
the old one with same templates and old plugins, plus new ones and some
revamping.  By the way, to reduce the stress (and size) in the MySQL
server each TYPO3 page fetches content from formatted text files and
pics (lots of URL's). Everything is working just fine.  Now the problem
is how to move the new subdomain (www.subdomain.example.com) to the root
(www.example.com).

I can figure out two methods, redirecting with .htaccess and
searching/replacing all the URL's in the database. First, redirecting is
scary due to the site's complexity and second, replacing URL's in the
database is time consuming and puts the site useless during the whole
process.

Is there any other recommended possibility? Symlink perhaps?  I have
never used symlinks and really don't know how they work for sure.

Any advice will be appreciated.