[TYPO3-english] Provider forces customers to update their software

Kay Strobach typo3 at kay-strobach.de
Wed May 29 17:42:27 CEST 2013

Hello Robert,

i also know a bunch of providers who behave this way.

I recently configured / built a software to detect old software to
ensure, that not a single customer installation is hacked.

As TYPO3 4.2 is really outdated i understand the arguments. Imagine a
code injection, which allows the maintainer of a bot net to send mails
or attack other systems. Therefore +1 for the provider.

It's also ok to give you some time to do the update :D

I recently had a support request from a customer (new one with canceled
support agreement) running a root server in canada @ 1&1 hosting. The
system was not updated since 2005 and the php shopping system installed
got hacked and was used to to a 1Gbit/s attack against google.

1&1 blocked the system in 1 minute after the initialization -> which is
in my opionion a good solution!

Anyway now they signed a new support agreement :D

So be happy to have a provider which is taking care of his environment.

Regards
Kay

Am 29.05.13 15:22, schrieb Rudy Gnodde:
> Op 29-5-2013 15:11, Robert Wildling schreef:
>> @Rudy: which other providers do have such a policy? I only worked on
>> about 10 providers so far, but none - except hosttech - is behaving that
>> rigorousely.
>
> I don't remember all of them, but the last hosting provider I was with
> which had this policy and actively enforced it was hostingu2.nl.
>
> If they're smart most hosting providers will have this in their
> contracts/terms of use, even if they don't actively enforce it. They
> might be liable for damages if a server is hacked due to one of their
> customer's websites if they don't (though I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not
> sure).

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: http://typo3.org

Answer was useful - feel free to donate:
  -
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KPM9NAV73VDF2
  - https://flattr.com/profile/kaystrobach