[TYPO3-english] Provider forces customers to update their software

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Wed May 29 13:51:33 CEST 2013

Am 29.05.2013 13:08, schrieb Robert Wildling:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know your opinion about that:
>
> The Swiss provider hosttech.ch recently sent out an email telling their
> customers to update to newer software or get the current installation
> deleted because of too old and too insecure scripts that potentially
> endager the whole eco system of hosttech. So customers who are running
> e.g TYPO3 4.2 are forced to update to 4.5. Hosttech further says that
> this is a step that many providers undertake. Yet I do not find any
> other providers that act accordingly.
>
> Does anybody of you guys out there know about providers that act similarly?
>
> What do you think about such steps?

Well - if your provider is not able to secure your customer environment
in such a way that running an outdated PHP application won't harm other
customers or the rest of their "ecosystem", they should immediately look
for better admins.

It would be another thing, if you would be running an insecure PHP
version, but actually it would be the job of the provider to secure the
whole environment so that any TYPO3 security hole might hurt only your
own system but not the rest of the systems.

So maybe this is a good reason to look for another provider.

Just my 2 cents

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de