[TYPO3-english] tt_news and TYPO3 6.1

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Thu May 16 13:24:29 CEST 2013

Hi Pero

>> Sometimes you have to invest time to:
>> - avoid spending more and more of it fixing old software (like tt_news)
>> - get a better software (like ext:news)
>>
>> And yes, RealURL works with TYPO3 6.1. You need version 1.12.6. It works
>> with every extension.
>
> I know Dmitry, but try to explain that to my bosses. I'm not sure that
> new extension is powerfull as old tt_news (all in all this extension is
> here for 10 or more years) but if you say so then i suppose it's good.
> Will check it. Thx. for help and info regarding realurl!

10 years in software is a lot. Valid point is that, yes, it still runs
and does its job as intended.

But (and there is a big BUT), the last few years have shown that tt_news
is not actively maintained anymore. New versions are released because of
active pressure from some influent community members but nobody really
takes care anymore.

Dmitry is right, there is now EXT:news and its codebase is much
better-suited for future development. I would suggest to step back and
think why you use tt_news. Is it for its core feature set (publishing
news)? Then switch to EXT:news and enjoy! Is it for other extensions
that rely on tt_news and extend it to store anything but news? Then you
may consider the risk of using what sounds like a combination of
obsolete and not maintained extensions.

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers