[TYPO3-english] Typo3 and MAMP question

Federico Bernardin typo3list at bernardin.it
Tue May 14 11:43:05 CEST 2013

Hi Marina

Il giorno 14/mag/2013, alle ore 11:30, marina t <marina at mtadiello.com> ha scritto:

> Hi all,
>
> After building a number of static Websites with BBEdit (hand-coding HTML and CSS files), and hosting them through virtual Webhosting providers, I am finding myself in a situation where keeping those sites up-to-date, and creating the new sites we need, is becoming too complicated for "handwriting" everything, as I've been doing for more years than I care to remember. Especially since I am not a programmer, even though I have significant experience and a good understanding of how the Web works.
>
> In an effort to find a more efficient solution, I have been researching CMS's, but haven't been able to find the "best" answer to my needs yet. Basically, I would like to maintain the same workflow I got used to, which is to develop locally and only publish to the Web when I am (reasonably) sure that everything works as expected.
>
> So far, I have roughly tested a few CMS's, including WordPress, Drupal, Textpattern and Movable Type, before arriving at Typo3. But I am still sort of stuck in the middle, as I have only been able to test those CMS's (except MT and Typo3) as pre-installed "goodies" on my Web hosting service - which defeats my idea of having a local sandbox I can work in, without having to rely on a permanent Internet connection, which is not always available.
>
> So, I have downloaded MAMP and Typo3, and suppose I am ready to start experimenting with a local Web server and a CMS. But...... there's a few questions I couldn't find a clear answer to!
>
> The main question is, where do I install Typo3 on my local system?
> As a veteran Mac user, I am familiar with the Applications folder - but I would like to keep my Web server root directory in a separate area of my computer.
You can install TYPO3 (recommend you in uppercase!) where you want, MAMP asks you to select the root folder of your virtualhost.

> So, is it possible to have MAMP installed "globally", in the Applications folder, and Typo3 installed somewhere else, so that it can be used for different Websites, stored in different directories and possibly under different User accounts? (This is the type of structure I am most familiar with, and would like to keep for my local web server)
Yes, MAMP and its application are installed into Application folder, TYPO3 can installed into a folder in your Mac HD.
Usually I save my TYPO3 sites into /Users/federico/Sites/TYPO3/ and then I use a separate folder for each TYPO3 site.

> If someone could point me in the right direction or provide an answer... that would be great!
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> marina
> (parlo anche italiano)

(Anch'io parlo Italiano)

If you prefer to speak in italian please use the italian mailing list.

Cheers
Federico