[TYPO3-english] Search extensions

Pero Peric pperic at mail.com
Thu May 2 14:26:53 CEST 2013

On 2.5.2013. 13:56, Stephan Schuler wrote:

> Hey there.
>

> The very best bet I have: Solr!
>
> Like Jigal told you: You can use hosted Solr. Search the newsgroup for Oliviers offer if you want. As far as I know, it's a fair price. I don't know about customizing cores and stuff, but I guess Olivier runs the EXT:Solr schema. So this should be really fine.
>

> Or you could try Sphinx search.
>
> A couple of days ago, Elmar asked Dmitry about his framework project. Dmitrys reply contained the following:
>> The site includes highly customized forums, mail, photo galleries, blogs for people, news, search (using Sphinx engine), favorites, etc. In other words, it is an active community portal.
>
> You could ask Dmitry about his Sphinx engine integration.
>
> I tried Sphinx myself a view weeks ago, but the lag of nice and easy write support out of PHP applications made me turn to a full blown Solr based on Jetty. But the reason for this mainly was that I wanted to use the index itself as the one and only persistence layer, so having only rudimentary and not reliable write support here was a complete no-go for me. If you only want to improve search speed, the automated "MySQL backend to Sphinx" mechanism (Sphinx can read its source data out of a given MySQL table of view or select query) might be perfectly fine for you.
>

> So, maybe Dmitry reads here and is in mood to tell us a little about his Sphinx setup.
>

> Kind regards,
>

> Stephan Schuler
> Web-Entwickler

Stephan thx. for info. I bet all this solutions work good but i also bet
that you need to put much effort into configuring all necessary things
to get it up to work as intended. It would be nice to have something
simple as -> go to extension manager, download extension, read it's
manual, install, configure, and u're up and running. This was the case
with mnogosearch that i used, although i also had problems because there
were specific version requirements for some part of app. so i had to
talk to my sysadmin to install compiled version on Debian linux which he
did, but he was not very happy with it. I believe he will send me to
hell if i come with a suggestion to install Tomcat + Java just for
search feature. Hosted solution could work but i really don't know
details about all this.. I should investigate more. Thx. anyway, i just
wanted to know what's new and what's been used by community last years ;-)

Regards.