[TYPO3-english] Search extensions

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu May 2 14:01:07 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 2-5-2013 13:29, Pero Peric wrote:
> Yeah, i gave it a look. I don't like much the fact that its java based -
> tomcat complicates things specially in Debian environment where you
> can't install "everything" what you want. Also, i'm not sure how well
> all thing is documented. I think i'll stick with mnogosearch if it still
> works on new TYPO3 installation :-) Thx!

The extension "solr" contains an install script that downloads, unpacks
and configures tomcat and solr for you.

The forge project has a very extensive wiki. The newsgroup (or mailing
list or forum) for the solr project can easily help you with problems
you encounter.

I used mnogosearch for one project and the major problem is that it is
just a site crawler. Indexing records such as news, indexing pages that
are only accessible for certain user groups, etc. is impossible. Also
the way solr watches for changes in pages, content, etc. makes that the
search index is updated quickly and doesn't have to wait for a new
crawler process.

If mnogosearch suites your needs and if it works, you do have a fast
search solution.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Core Team member