[TYPO3-english] Give +1 for the Extension Feedback Process

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Thu May 2 01:21:20 CEST 2013

Hi Elmar Hinz,

Elmar Hinz wrote:

> Thinking this a little further and adding input from the devlopers list,
> an alternative approach pops up, fully automatic:
>
> * During installation the user is asked to agree with automatic feedback.
> * If yes, a random number is created for  [SYS][T3instID].
> * Now whenever the user updates the extension list from TER, the current
> state of his installation is send to TER, based on this number. * Without
> this number/agreement nothing is sent.

Too much magic. If any data is transferred, it should be fully transparent
to the user.
Submitting data as a side effect of doing an action, just because someone
set one setting long time ago is not nice.

I would prefer the approach to have a dedicated feedback extension that nags
the users after a while and also provides the feedback buttons in the EM.

The user should be in control of how much data is transferred.

Automatic transfer could be an option, but I doubt that many people would
use it.

> How do you think about this two alternatives?

I prefer a feedback module that nags the user (like the donate window) and
can be deactivated completely.

Data that should be transmitted (analyzed via Piwik maybe - it runs on t3o
anyway?):
* Extension list with version and active/deactivate state (maybe also if
modified)
* Extension rating (feedback, whatever)
* TYPO3 version
* Number of errors/warnings in a given amount of time (from log), e.g. last
30 days
* If any fatal errors can be traced to an extension (advanced topic, maybe
step 3 or 4)
* Typical errors in that given TYPO3 version
* number of public domains
* number of total pages (or even records)

Of course not all data should be selected by default.

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!